Easy Baked Frittata Recipe
Eggs are one of the most nutritious foods on the planet. Not only are they are great source of quality protein, they also contain essential nutrients that are hard to get from other foods.
Key nutrients include Vitamins A, D, E, K, Vitamins B12, B6, B5, and B2, Selenium, Phosphorus, Choline, Zinc and Calcium. Eggs also contain omega-3 healthy fats and approximately 6 grams of protein per serve (1 egg).
Frittatas are one of my favourite egg dishes for so many reasons. Packed with veggies frittatas are nutrient dense, meaning you get more nutrients per calorie than other foods. They are never boring because you can really get creative with flavour combinations. They are also cost effective to make and keep well overnight (think yummy lunch the next day). Lastly they are super easy to make with minimal washing up.
So here is our easy frittata recipe. NOTE: We have used cheese in this recipe however you choose to leave the cheese off or try nut based (vegan) cheese if you are dairy free.
- 8 to 12 free range organic eggs (based on the size of your baking dish).
- 3 tablespoons of almond / cashew /coconut or soy milk (unsweetened).
- 1 Zucchini thinly sliced length ways.
- 1 Sweet Potato cut into slices.
- 1 cup of diced capsicum.
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes cut in half.
- 1/4 cup of ricotta cheese.
- 1 cup of grated cheese or crumbled feta (for the top).
- Salt and pepper to season.
- Preheat the oven to 180 Degrees Celsius.
- Grease a baking dish with a little olive or coconut oil.
- Slice the sweet potato and blanch in hot water for 5 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Slice the zucchini and pat try with paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Layer the sweet potato slices around the base of your baking disk and then top with the zucchini slices.
- Place the eggs, ricotta cheese, and nut milk into a large bowl and whisk until blended.
- Pour the egg mixture on to the sweet potato and zucchini slices (they should be completely covered).
- Add the diced capsicum and cherry tomatoes to the top of the egg mixture.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese or crumbed feta over the top.
- Cook the frittatta for 30 minutes (depending on size). The fritatta will be cooked when the eggs appear puffed and cooked and the frittata has a slight wobble in the centre.
- Remove the frittata from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes (it will keep cooking).
- Garnish with your choice of fresh herbs, and fresh green salad leaves.
Other Great Combinations
Want to mix it up? Try these yummy combinations (also feel free to leave your own combinations in the comments):
- Smoked salmon, capers, red onion and zucchini.
- Artichoke, feta, and spinach.
- Sundried tomato, olives, and capsicum.
- Fresh tomato, basil, olives, red onion, and mozzarella.
- Mushrooms, kale, broccoli, and feta.
Want more delicious dinner ideas? Check out our other recipes.