DIY Non-Toxic Laundry Powder
Using chemical free laundry powder is one small change you can make to reduce your exposure to environmental toxins including sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), sodium laureth sulfate (SLES), nonylphenol ethoxylate, and phosphates which are typical ingredients of commercial detergents. Studies have shown these products can be harmful to your health and damaging to the environment.
We’re constantly on the search for non-toxic cleaning products that are easily accessible and that won’t cost the earth. We love this recipe for DIY non-toxic laundry powder for these reasons:
- It’s non-toxic.
- It’s cheaper than commercial laundry powder.
- It’s makes your clothes clean and soft.
- It smells great.
- It doesn’t hurt the environment.
To make your laundry powder you will need the following:
- 1/2 cup of grated castile soap.
- 2 cups of washing soda (sodium carbonate)
- 2 cups of baking soda
- 1 cup of white distilled vinegar.
- 10-12 drops of your favourite essential oil (think lavender, citrus, tea tree, lemon grass).
TIP: You can make your own washing soda by placing baking soda on a large tray and baking it in the oven for 40mins at a high temperature until it is grainy.
- If you haven’t already done so, grate a bar of castile soap into a large bowl.
- Stir in the washing soda and baking soda.
- Add 10-12 drops of your selected essential oil (leave out if you don’t want scented powder).
- Slowly add the distilled white vinegar and beat the mixture at high speed for 5-10 minutes until it becomes thickened and powdery.
- Put the mixture into an airtight container and allow it to stand for about 30 minutes. The mixture will expand and dry out into a powder.
Using the Laundry Powder:
- Before washing clothes, leave the washing machine empty and do a full washing cycle using 1/3 cup of washing soda to clean out old detergent residue.
- To wash clothes use 1/2 cup per full load of laundry.