Gluten & Dairy Free Banana Bread
Banana bread was one thing I missed when I made the decision to remove gluten and dairy from my diet for health reasons. I’ve tried heaps of recipes and this one is by far the best if you’re looking for that light and fluffy texture (so many of my original attempts at gf banana bread didn’t rise). I actually now prefer this recipe to store brought banana bread because it’s not only delicious, it’s nourishing my body. Key nutrients include dietary fibre, protein, potassium, magnesium, vitamin E, and zinc, which are known to support cardiovascular health, immune and nervous system function, and healthy skin.
- 2 large ripe bananas (the riper the sweeter).
- 3 organic free range eggs.
- 200g almond meal.
- 1/4 cup of shredded coconut.
- 1 Tbsp baking soda.
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice.
- 1 Tbsp pepitas.
- 1 Tbsp local honey.
- Preheat a fan forced oven to 160 degrees (Celsius).
- Line a loaf shaped baking tin with baking paper.
- Add the bananas to a large mixing bowl and mash well with a fork.
- Add the eggs and honey to the banana mix and combine well.
- Add the lemon juice and baking soda (the lemon juice activates the baking soda).
- Whisk the mixture until it becomes light and foamy.
- Add the almond meal and coconut and stir in to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tin.
- Sprinkle the pepitas along the top and bake in the oven for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Test if the loaf is cooked by inserting a skewer into the centre – if the skewer comes out clean your loaf is cooked.
- I love eating the banana bread warm out of the oven with some coconut butter, although a dab of coconut cream with some fresh berries is also a delight!
- You can also add grated carrot, pineapple, medjool dates or berries to the mixture before baking for extra sweetness and flavour.
If you love this recipe check out our No Bake Energy Bars.