Quinoa Breakfast Porridge
Autumn is here which means the return of cool mornings and warm breakfasts. This quinoa porridge is my favourite gluten-free replacement for oats. It’s super tasty and rich in protein, vitamin B12, vitamin E, and calcium.
- 1/2 cup of tri-colour quinoa
- 1.5 cups of almond or coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground clove
- Fresh fruit of your choice as a topping
- Add the quinoa, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and ginger to a saucepan.
- Place on medium heat and stir frequently for 2-3 minutes until the quinoa is lightly toasted and the spices fragrant.
- Add the water, almond milk and maple syrup to the saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a low heat and stir occasionally until the quinoa has softened and the mixture has the consistency of porridge (about 20 minutes).
- Divide into two bowls and top with your choice of fresh fruit, nuts, and seeds. We recommend berries, fresh coconut and pepitas 🙂
Per Serving (the above recipe makes 2 serves)
- Calories: 219.5
- Protein: 7.8g
- Carbs: 35g
- Sugar: 9g
- Dietary Fibre: 3g
- Sodium: 200mg